SAGAMI GROUP HOLDINGS Co., Ltd.
- Location: Yokohama-city, Kanagawa
- Industry: Consumer Services（Retail）
- Business: Chain of specialty stores for kimono, etc.
- URL: https://www.sagami-ghd.co.jp/
Investment timing: 2016/10
Exit timing: 2018/6
Deal type: Carve-Out
Fund: AG II
Investment Background / Post-Investment Activities
Sagami Group is the largest listed kimono specialty store in Japan (at the time), with a strong customer base due to its strong brand and a nationwide retail chain. In response to the business carve-out needs of its parent company, UNY, Aspirant Group invested in the company through TOB in order to leverage its brand, to assist the company to become a standalone company, and stabilize its earnings and its financial position as the company was implementing structural reforms.
Development of Infrastructure
- Development of an accounting management system
- Design/management of meeting structure
- Development of Corporate Infrastructure (Consolidated group management structure through organizational restructuring (Implementation of a holding company structure))
- Improvement in Productivity – Reduction of order loss (Centralization of product management)
- Improvement in Productivity – Cost reductions (Integration of administration, product planning, procurement, and logistics functions under the holding company)
- Pricing Strategy (Setting appropriate discounts based on quantitative analysis)
- Improvement in Cash Management (Improvement of cash position through securing working capital more efficiently)
Support for Growth
- Sales Support/Sales Channel Expansion, etc. (Monetization of surplus assets)
In 2018, as the company met the needs of Belluna, a major player in the catalog mail-order industry, to strengthen its kimono business, it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Belluna, through privatization via TOB.